eSirius Protocol Help Documents
Workshops: The IACUC office offers monthly eSirius help sessions/workshops/labs for researchers who are planning to, or are in the process of, submitting new protocols, amendments, annual reviews, and three-year renewals in eSirius. Complete details and the workshop schedule can be found here.
These documents are intended to help PIs and their research personnel perform common functions related to their IACUC protocols in eSirius, and to provide guidance on what the IACUC expects to be in protocols.
FAQ: Frequently asked questions on animal use at Cornell and on the eSirius Animal Protocol system.
Narrative Guide: Guidance on what content the IACUC expects in the narrative sections of the protocol.
This document/page is currently undergoing revision. For guidance or assistance with protocol-related questions, please contact the IACUC Administrators at email@example.com, 255-3749, or 255-5398.
Amendment Guide: Guidance on which protocol sections to complete for common kinds of amendments.
- Download a pdf overview of the protocol sections required for common amendments.
Submit an annual review: Summary of steps to take in eSirius to submit an annual review.
Responsibilities: PIs will receive electronic notification of the upcoming annual review date two months in advance. It is the PI’s responsibility to ensure that the annual reviews are submitted in sufficient time for the IACUC to review and approve the reviews by the expiration date.
How to submit an annual review in eSirius
- You will find an alert on your e-Sirius home page 60 days before the annual review date of your protocol, under the “Alerts- Protocol Annual Reviews” section. To start the process, click on the Protocol number (in blue).
On the next page, indicate what you would like to do with your protocol for the coming year, and answer the questions.
If you select:
- Research continues as previously approved - choose one of the three options for why you are continuing
- Research terminated - choose one of the two options for terminating; fill in the date to be terminated; and state the disposition of your animals
- Answer the four questions about activities which were carried out in the year just completed
- Click on the Continue button at the bottom of the page
- On the following page click on the Agree and Submit to the IACUC button
- If you are continuing your protocol, but need to modify it in any way, submit an amendment to your protocol using the Submit an Amendment for an Existing Protocol on your eSirius Homepage.
- If you select:
Submit a three year re-submission or expiration: Summary of steps to take in eSirius to renew a protocol after three years. Steps you must take to allow your protocol to expire.
Responsibilities: PIs will receive electronic notification of the upcoming expiration of their protocols 5 months in advance. It is the PI’s responsibility to ensure that the renewal requests are submitted in sufficient time for the IACUC to review and approve the renewal by the expiration date. The IACUC will conduct a full review of the protocol upon submission.
How to submit a three year renewal in eSirius
- Click on https://esirius.research.cornell.edu/esirius/
- In the section "Alerts- 3rd year review", you will find a listing for the expiring protocol(s).
To start the three year renewal, click on the Protocol number (in blue).
**DO NOT SELECT THE OPTION "Create a protocol from an existing protocol". This will assign a new protocol number to your 3 year renewal application.
- On the next page enter a brief progress report on your protocol. Indicate if the protocol will be renewed, or will lapse/terminate upon expiration.
- To renew the protocol: select the pages from your original protocol that you want to copy into your resubmission. This will bring the information from the relevant pages into the form that you will be working on.
- Carefully update, add or remove the information on this protocol as if you were submitting a new protocol. For example if you adding species, procedures, locations etc., select the appropriate sections of the protocol to make changes.
- You can save this protocol and update it later. You will find the protocol in the "Unfinished Protocols" section with a document type of "Full Review"
- When you are done making your changes, your protocol will retain the same protocol number as the original one.
- To terminate the protocol: indicate the disposition of the animals. The protocol will continue to appear on your home page in "IACUC" status until the IACUC Administrator approves the termination. Once the protocol is terminated, you will receive a notification from eSirius to that effect.
- Complete the information on your protocol and submit to the IACUC. You will receive an email confirmation when the protocol has been submitted. The protocol will no longer be in "Unfinished" status.
- The IACUC will put your protocol on the agenda for the next IACUC meeting and review your protocol as a new submission. During this time, the protocol will continue to be on your eSirius home page in "IACUC" status.
eSirius Instruction Manual: A guide to all eSirius functions, navigation, and use.